Thursday 12 May 2016

How can I convince a software dev?

At work I use a software to draw maps. When importing symbold into maps, the process is overly complicated. You have to import your symbol, select all shapes that make up your symbol, then update a certain dialog to set the currently selected curve as a symbol, then fiddle with a percentage-based zoom parameter to get the symbol to be the right size (instead of using an absolute measurement like mm or point). I've contacted the dev and told him about the problem. I said that it would be simpler to just load the PDF as a symbol.The problem is that said dev does apparently not know or not care about the existence of user experience. He doesn't want to change from a percentage-of-the-original-PDF to a millimeter / point based approach (I have no clue as to why). Also he wants to add two different functions for updating and adding a symbol, instead of updating the symbol automatically, in two different parts ofthe software. And sadly, he is a fan of application-blocking popup boxes, so his solution was to ask the user for a size using a popup box instead of an editable text field that can be updated.

How can I convince him not to do this? I am a user, but I have a knowledge about what to do when designing interfaces. He just wants to add popup boxes everywhere. Please help.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted May 13, 2016 at 02:41AM by sharazam http://ift.tt/1X60yCm

No comments:

Post a Comment