Saturday 30 April 2016

Anyone care to give me some career advice? I need to make a big decision imminently and don't know what to do.

Don't know if anyone just has any thoughts at all, I know this is ultimately my decision and what I want to do, but maybe just hearing some other professionals thoughts could help.

I am currently at a design internship at a pretty good firm. It is more a typical job: they do annual reports, infographics, corporate design, and also some website design and coding (they don't do big e-commerce sites in-hosue, just like micro-sites and the like. There is only one designer cable of building the sites out in html/css/javascript.)

After this internship ended, I had another internship that is supposed to start in like 2 weeks. It was at a pretty big software company doing UX/UI. They are "Google" like and have a lot of money, big campus, flex-ier schedule, badminton courts inside near cubicles, a lot of campus perks (beer trucks in summer, go kart races, services on campuses, whatever), and I guess a big "work community" mindset that they expect everyone to buy into.

Well, the internship I have now just offered me a full time job starting at 38,000. The health benefits are pretty good, 401k, employee owned ESOP company that gives employees stock, etc. We also just got a very large client, so business wise things seemed pretty good. They asked me if I would be willing to learn more about coding websites and whatnot, as they want to expand in that direction more.

I am kind of trying to decide what to do and what sounds like the best career path. One one hand, I have a full time job in front of me at a pretty good place. On the other hand, I have heard UX/UI can be heard to get into, can be lucrative, and It has been implied that the summer internship is looking to hire in too (though I don't know what they would pay if they did)

Though I also feel like learning to code could be very useful (if I can do it) and I don't think I would be doing that at the specific UX/UI internship at all.

My personal qualities: I have a funny personality but also shy with a ton of social anxiety. I am historically not good at socializing in totally new environments. Making friends at work is always hard for me, especially in office settings, which is basically what I am in now. The other place is a little less office-y though

I'd like to move in maybe 2 years (maybe more, more less) anyway after saving up money.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted May 01, 2016 at 12:42AM by lolecules http://ift.tt/1Uoy7za

No comments:

Post a Comment