Saturday 25 February 2017

Design & accessibility - A contradiction?

Whenever I raise the topic, most designers either cringe or have no clue what I'm talking about. In a nutshell, accessibility aims to help (mainly) people with disabilities to obtain and process information, by either using assistive tech tools, and/or having companies/orgs follow related laws and regulations.

Those who get the cringe are pointing out the creative limitations accessibility rules seem to force upon them, hence most designers prefer to ignore the issue altogether. Ironically enough, so do many accessibility advocates and charities, leaving users with ugly and amateurish appearance. On my quest to try to close that gap, I shared my expertise as a designer and my experience being visually impaired, proving that design can very much remove barriers and be high quality, as long as the other side is willing to accept that rules and regulations aren't always as beneficial as intended. I posted a link to my slides from a presentation I did recently. You're welcome to share your thoughts:

http://ift.tt/2lA0UDJ



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted February 25, 2017 at 01:36PM by pxlgirl http://ift.tt/2kWtkdZ

No comments:

Post a Comment