Friday 22 February 2019

Struggling Working with an Interior Designer

Working now on my 3rd room with the same designer. The first, I wanted to keep my sofas & end tables, and just spruce it up a bit, so there wasn’t an opportunity to alter the style drastically. The second, I wanted to coordinate with antique lamps I inherited from my Grandmom, so the style had to work around those.

Now, I have more of a blank slate & want to go nuts! I want to incorporate all the other things I could NOT in the 1st 2 rooms due to the restrictions. (Literally, there is a lamp I’ve loved for YEARS that I want to finally buy.)

And I am STILL being told over & over, “Uh huh, but that doesn’t work.” Example:

  • That ottoman is modern style, but the console & lamp are more of contemporary style. Pick one style.
  • That console table is not long enough for your sofa (kinda her fault, since she accidentally sent me one that IS the same size, and later said it was a mistake.)

She is making valid points & I get it. LOL, if her points weren’t valid, I would just ignore her!

My point is this: I feel like my hands are tied. There are a few pieces I really love & want in this room. Being told, “Nope,” and worse, “Nope, here’s something 2X the price instead,” is getting tedious & frustrating. I have a (close to) blank slate & decent-sized budget. This should be FUN, not perpetually frustrating.

When do you just say, “Fuck it, my style is, ‘This is all shit I love! & I don’t GAF if it doesn’t coordinate!’”?? Cuz I am nearly there right now…

And for the record, I am NOT expecting her to give me 10 million ideas until I'm finally satisfied. I just showed her some things I did love & wanted her to help me pull them together. That was the scope of our agreement. I am not blaming her in the least. My frustration is with the design process, NOT the designer herself!



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted February 22, 2019 at 05:50PM by OhBTW_WhichOnesPink https://ift.tt/2XkczsI

No comments:

Post a Comment