Friday 2 November 2018

Some advice on pursuing Design would be appreciated

Post was removed before but no rules were broken and no reason given, so I hope it was a mistake, or that if it is removed again, some feedback is given.

I get anxiety about pursuing a career in design.

Designers are problem solvers. That I have been taught. There are obvious problems in design that aren’t difficult to solve, such as a poor typeface combination or an ugly colour palette. These things are relatively easy to solve, and the solutions are relatively easy to solve due to design principles.

What I get anxiety over is entering an industry where I don’t understand the complex problems. If I need to create an art direction for a product, but it doesn’t look good and I can’t discern why it doesn’t look good even if it abides to design principles, I am taught to do variations. Wild random copious variations of the initial design, with changes simply for the sake of changing the design to see if it looks better in a different way. But theres no guarantee it will look better in the next variation. It feels like throwing a dart at a dartboard with a blindfold. Maybe today I will hit a bulls-eye eventually and it looks good. But what about tomorrow.

My fear of not knowing how to solve non-obvious design problems scares me from trying other design fields. I feel boxed into one of the only things I can roughly wrap my head around which is UX Design, because it follows human logic, is easy to analyse and recognise the problems that need fixing.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted November 02, 2018 at 12:03PM by DsgnStudentthrow https://ift.tt/2JzG5o1

No comments:

Post a Comment