Saturday 1 June 2019

[Advice] Dealing with bias within a professional setting

Recently, I was given news that I wasn't offered a place at an upcoming event (I am leaving deatails out because I don't want people to be able to work out the istitute I am at). This wouldn't have been a problem except for the reason given for why I wasn't offered a place. I was told that the reason I wasn't offered a place was because of the lack of quality in my work. However, and this is where the clear bias comes in, one of my peirs was offered a place when their work in that area was unfinished.

There is no question that the person chosing the places has a bias towards people within my pier group, however, this is a scenario where, for some, going to this even could jump start the next part of their life and career.

As of right now, I am bitter about the decision. And while I wouldn't have been able to go to the event due to previous obligations, I would have liked to add it as an extra onto my CV that I was offered a place.

So, this long rant was to come to this quesion: How do you deal with professional bias that effects the future of your work within design?

Thanks for reading.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted June 01, 2019 at 04:19PM by fred1840 http://bit.ly/30X4EU5

No comments:

Post a Comment