Thursday 22 September 2016

Help me understand Drama over typography used on image redesign

Hi all,

I'm part of a small collective which aims to promote human rights on digital contexts. We also care about open everything (knowledge, access, etc.).

A colleague presented a proposal based on some proprietary fonts but some people in our group rejected it because it wasn't based on open standards. I mean, that the font itself for our logo wasn't made using open typography, even though it was modified for design purposes. He, the designer, said that open type is somewhat substandard but I can't really understand why it is so.

I mean, what can't you do with open type? are you severely limited (as a customer, let's say) if you base part of your identity in proprietary fonts?

As for the philosophy issue, I think it's important to be coherent but it seems that the design community sees this problem as secondary. Why would that be?

I'd appreciate if anyone would like to shed a light on this!

(Please excuse the lack of proper use of terminology but clearly this is not my field.)

X-posted to r/typography



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted September 22, 2016 at 06:16PM by barichara http://ift.tt/2dkvjSj

No comments:

Post a Comment