Friday 25 January 2019

Auto-generating PDF contact sheets?

Hoping you folks can help with this. But if there's a better sub, I'm all ears...

I'm trying to find a way to automate the generation of contact sheets from PDF packets. Given a PDF document of multiple pages, I want to output a new PDF where each original page has been shrunk down to around 50-75% and top-aligned, to allow for notes/approvals in the bottom section. But in a way that retains a faithful representation of the printed document, so that margins/positioning can be approved, in addition to the content.

It'd also be great to be able to print metadata into the header/footer for versioning purposes.

Mockup: https://i.imgur.com/zUVCruV.png

I'm assuming what I'm describing is painfully routine in desktop publishing apps (Illustrator, Publisher) or even Photoshop. But the folks who will be generating these packets won't have access to apps like that, nor do they need the output to be super sophisticated, with bleed, print, crop lines and other technical features. I'm hoping I can find a solution using Word or Acrobat Pro DC.

These will be large packets, so it needs to be automated. I've been tinkering with custom actions in Acrobat but I don't think the necessary steps can be recorded. I'm also struggling with the fact that when I go to edit a single page, AA wants to first parse the PDF into individual objects and do OCR. That exactly what I don't want. I want the content to remain flattened, so I can simply resize it, add a bounding box, and move on.

Any ideas?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted January 25, 2019 at 11:00PM by IcyKettle http://bit.ly/2DBy3d3

No comments:

Post a Comment