Wednesday 26 October 2016

How can I get our marketing team to sign off designs based on success metrics rather than how much they like a design

My design team and I are slowly becoming puppets for the marketing team (who have assumed the role of project owners / clients / art directors on all internal projects). This means marketing set the brief, give feedback along the way and then have final say. 99% of the time this feedback is based on their opinion and not any expertise. The feedback is usually along the lines of "move this there", "Can we see it in other colors", "Can we see some other styles for the homepage".

To my design team and I this is incredibly frustrating as they have to change things for arbitrary reasons when they have spend years gaining the knowledge and skills to be able to create great and effective work. They all feel like they don't design any more and are just puppets for the marketing departments changes. It's getting to the point that I'm worried that the team will get so annoyed with it they will leave.

I would like to swing things back into my teams favour because I know it will get us better products and results however I would like some help with ideas of how I can do this. My thought on this is to make the sign off of the design based on if it ticks key metrics (set by marketing) so that there is a clear line drawn to get past and as long as the designers pass this then the design is good to go. However I'm not sure how to present this to my boss so that we can try and push this forward.

Has anyone else tried something like this, how successful was it or do you have any other recommendations?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted October 26, 2016 at 02:50PM by Designer023 http://ift.tt/2f7ePl4

No comments:

Post a Comment