Friday 20 January 2017

Should I charge for excessive changes?

Alright, so here's my situation. I work for a small company as an IT. My primary training is in graphic design and web design, so I also make advertising materials for my company from time to time. These materials look good and got my name around in the community.

Someone heard about my work and left their contact information for me at work. I get in touch with this client, and he wants a simple design. The guy has on hand a sketch. Looks simple and he talks like he knows this is exactly what he wants. Soon after, I crank out the design exactly to his specifications. Usually clients like these are easy.

He requests a consultation about it, so I meet with him. He requests some small things that honestly don't look that great, but design is subjective and I know I can find a way to make it work.

I deliver again on his requests. Last night, the TL;DR of his response is: sorry I want so many changes, but change it(please).

Now, I delivered exactly what he said he wanted. In the correspondence he basically admitted he can't make the idea he had translate to show me. As in, if he can't materialize this even for himself, how am I supposed to understand?

They're small changes, ones that don't even seem that impactful. He's been a respectable client and has, other than revisions, been relatively easy to work for.

It's a small shirt design, and being that the project sounded like one-and-done easy, I quoted him a low flat rate of $150 (stupid, I know). Should I charge him for it since he mentioned he wouldn't mind or just cut my losses for the goodwill of the client? These changes don't take too long, but it forces me to keep going back for revisions.

TL;DR: Gave customer a flat rate. Can I charge him for multiple revisions?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted January 20, 2017 at 11:17AM by Laurasaurus1009 http://ift.tt/2iRXSrJ

No comments:

Post a Comment