Sunday 13 May 2018

Help: Picking my own job title

I'm joining a small startup (reeeeally small, like 3 people) as their only design and product person. I know it's a recurring discussion in our industry that job titles are usually meaningless, but since I have the opportunity to choose my own here, I'd be grateful for any input on making it more purposeful.

The issue I'm having is that I need the job title to be clear that I'm in charge of the product direction/development as well as its design. I want to be simple about it and just say "product designer", but that doesn't encapsulate the business/product owner aspect of it enough.

Ideas I've kicked around:

  • Product owner and designer (this makes "designer" feel like an afterthought)
  • Director of product and design (This is probably most accurate and it's probably imposter syndrome that keep me from embracing the "director" title? Then again, it's only a few people at this startup, so it seems like hyperbole)

That's really all I've got, unfortunately. :(

I want to steer clear of the word "manager" as it implies people management, which I won't be doing.

Any ideas/advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted May 13, 2018 at 01:39PM by _halfway https://ift.tt/2wBoedA

No comments:

Post a Comment