Wednesday 27 December 2017

Design portfolio on Medium?

I've been working on a personal rebrand and a new design portfolio from scratch the past few months. I've been tinkering around with Tumblr, Markdown, Liquid, Handlebars, Metalsmith, Jekyll, static CMSs...

I bought a new domain to host my portfolio and saved usernames on the sites I planned to use (specifically Behance, Facebook, Instagram and Medium) and set up a custom domain email.

I originally planned to use social media this way:

  • .com domain: CV, social media profile index, digital business card, complete design case studies.
  • Medium: Occasional writing.
  • Behance: Less curated visual design collection.
  • Instagram: Work in progress.
  • Facebook: Short updates (I hate Facebook but I think it's still very relevant to my target audience).

I then, inspired by this design case study on Medium, came with the idea of posting my complete case studies on Medium instead. So my social media lineup would look like this:

  • .com domain: CV, social media profile index, digital business card, +Medium case studies index.
  • Medium: Occasional writing, +complete design case studies.

I came with this idea for the following reasons:

  • Medium promotes content and writers, so I can reach a bigger and more diverse audience (I don't expect my case studies to blow up or anything, but being featured and referenced would be nice).
  • The design is clean, responsive and the discussion is civil.

Still, I'm afraid I look unprofessional to employers or potential clients because of the presentation. I don't want to look like I don't know how to run website when I'm advertising some freelance web design services.

What do you guys think?

PS: There are plenty of reasons I don't want to build my main portfolio on Behance. Also, I hate Dribbble.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted December 28, 2017 at 01:05AM by zefranaga http://ift.tt/2l71wC0

No comments:

Post a Comment