Wednesday 22 March 2017

Where should my career go? Advice needed.

I'm an artist, maybe not a designer. I've lost focus, and I need advice.

Initially, I got a degree in animation with the intention of working in that industry. After months of applications, I settled into an underpaid print-design position. Two years later, I'm a production artist temp at a good gig. I hit 6 months next week. The contract has no end date; I'm in limbo.

In my off-hours, I've kept up my drawing skills and put together an okay portfolio of illustrations, but I haven't animated in years.

What's next? Am I a designer? Am I an illustrator hiding behind my decent InDesign skills? Is there a path back to the animation industry or should I accept a closed door and move on? Any full-time production artist positions in my area advertise $12-$15/hr, and that's just not good enough. But my experience is so scattered that I've had no luck in my applications to 45k-range positions.

  • I could learn my design basics and put out a traditional graphic design portfolio, but I'd still be 2-3 years behind that projected job track

  • I could move to the production side of things, be a project manager

  • I could teach myself programming/web design, aim for a career in UI/UX design, but that is a long-term path without certainty

  • I could circle back and relearn my video/multimedia skills, and market myself as a jack-of-all-trades at a marketing company

According to conventional wisdom, I should "keep putting in the work" until I find "my thing" and "get discovered". But I'm too cynical to be passive.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted March 22, 2017 at 07:48PM by MarkerBear http://ift.tt/2mRfTIs

No comments:

Post a Comment