Tuesday 19 September 2017

Question about getting an education in design

I'm a 30 year old with an undergrad degree in biology, working full time in a job I hate. I'm very creative and am wanting to start a career in design and am faced with some choices to make as far as education.

First off, I am not disciplined enough to teach myself all of these programs, and am worried about wasting my money on low-cost online courses with no name recognition, so I'm attracted to the structure and accountability of an established school program in a physical classroom.

My first option is going back to Kennesaw State University for a second bachelors degree in Interactive Design, a seemingly well-rounded program that will also help me create a good portfolio for job hunting, but will probably end up costing me ~$25,000 for the two years of courses I'll need to complete it.

I'm also looking at a combination of certificate programs Emory and Kennesaw's continuing education departments. Emory has certificates in Fundamentals of Graphic Design & Production and Advanced Graphic Design (totaling $6255) and KSU's Web Design & Development certificate (costing $5700).

Do you think the second degree would be more advantageous / attractive to future employers than the certificates?

Any general advice for getting a paid internship or a junior position during my education?

Thanks!



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted September 19, 2017 at 06:08PM by JunkInTheTrunk http://ift.tt/2w5khJk

No comments:

Post a Comment