Tuesday 26 June 2018

Contract negotiations - putting work in my portfolio?

I'm going through the growing pains of going out on my own for the first time, as opposed to working for a company or agency.

Something I'm really having issues with is that 99% of clients do not want the work publicly displayed on a website or put in my portfolio.

I've done some reading; it seems that most designers don't just sign the client's contract, but have their own as well.

I feel like my portfolio is mostly made up of made-up projects due to this reason. To make matters worse, one potential client told me she needed to see more actual "client work." I informed her I had too many NDAs to be able to oblige, and instead of respecting my commitment to my contracts, that's when she dropped off the face of the Earth. One client actually e-mailed me to enforce the NDA, even though I thought the portion of the work I did display was very non-revealing and did not display any sensitive information.

In your experience, are most clients okay with signing your contract as well? Has anyone ever reacted negatively? Did it ever make you lose out on a job? What other advice do you have for ensuring that I'm able to put some of the work in my portfolio or on a website?

Thank you in advance!



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted June 26, 2018 at 04:20PM by WritingTherapy https://ift.tt/2KkWxrH

No comments:

Post a Comment