Tuesday 19 June 2018

Graphic design feedback and how to deal with non designers

I work mainly with non-designers- scientists to be exact. My background is actually a combination science and design, so I was happy to get the job. That said, I’ve felt rather defeated lately. My last call went like this:

Client: Put boxes around everything, make it all red, underline all the text. Bold the lines thicker.

Me: Ok, so I wouldn’t recommend bolding the lines or underlining the text because it will not look like the rest of the graphics throughout the document. Are you wanting that change so it fills up more of the white space? If so, I can instead....

Client: (cuts me off). Just do it. We will decide if it looks good.

....

What are your recommendations on:

How to ask clients why they want certain changes without coming off as rude. I want to help them come up with good design solutions to problems they see. Often they will only present their solutions and get upset if I ask the “why”. I think a lot of people don’t realize design is more than pressing buttons, it’s also helping to come up with solutions to their problems. Any advice on helping people to value that part of design too?

Is this a common issue across design departments, and if so how has your company worked to fix this problem?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted June 19, 2018 at 05:33PM by lumpernoodle https://ift.tt/2I1AMLR

No comments:

Post a Comment