Saturday 21 May 2016

Design Quote for Ex-Employer (Very Good Terms)

Hey, I know that quote posts are pretty common and highly debated. But I appreciate others opinions that share a similar place in the design world. Here is my scenario.

Back in about 2011 I did freelance work for a local Tourism Board, it was a lot of little ads and things and one big project was their 60-page yearly catalog. I looked back at my records and the first time I charged a flat $1,200 for the whole thing. Copy and Photography is provided for me ready to go, and I have access to their stock account for any kind of vector I would need to tear apart for elements.

Later in 2012 they had an opening and hired me as their in-house web/design guy. I worked there for three years and produced three more visitors guides in that time (my starting pay in 2012 was 12.00/hr, i live in a rural area and this is a somewhat rural county so that pay is actually not as bad as you'd think.) By the time I left there in 2015 I was making $15.50 an hour.

As things do, I found a better opportunity at a digital production house and moved on. We left on really good terms, and I was able to help hire my replacement and get him caught up before I left.

I got a text from my old boss this week saying that my replacement is leaving the bureau and she wanted to give me first dibs to put in a quote for doing the visitors guide again.

So given all that. Do you all think that $1,200 for a 60-page catalog (all copy and photography provided) is crazy low for 2016?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted May 21, 2016 at 03:34PM by thomashush http://ift.tt/20jgrom

No comments:

Post a Comment