Tuesday 3 May 2016

Getting into the Environmental/Architectural design field without a related degree??

Hey y'all

I'm finishing up a bachelors degree in Environmental Sciences (heavy focus on government policy) with a minor in Studio Art right now, but I really want to get into the design field. Specifically, design with a focus on sustainability or environmental impact. I'm in NYC, which I think makes things more accessible.

However, I'm not sure where to get started. I can draw adequately, but mostly took art courses in printmaking and metalsmithing. I have zero experience in the way of design (although a couple of people have assumed I was a design student after seeing my school work, a good omen hopefully).

I can build a portfolio over the summer, but what would I need to include in it if I don't have any work or internship experience in design? Are there opportunities in the design field that don't necessarily involve becoming a designer, but instead working with them in some way?

TLDR: Environmental science student with minimal design experience wants to combine the two into a career, is absolutely clueless as to how to go about doing so.

All advice is so so appreciated!!



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted May 03, 2016 at 06:21AM by chippychomps http://ift.tt/1Z7rfW8

No comments:

Post a Comment