Wednesday 18 May 2016

Job Interviews and Design Tasks

I'm currently job hunting. Throughout my job hunting quest over the past 5 months I have discovered a variety of companies who cover the spectrum of cruel and lethargic to genuine and professional.

What I noticed with 99% of the companies, at some point throughout the interview process, they want me to complete a design task of some sort. I get the reasoning behind it, they want to see if I actually have the skill set to complete a task given to me.

What I also discovered is that sometimes companies will require me to do this, with promises of employment and end up getting burned after putting in this work for hours with no compensation.

(One company asked me to complete a massive 4 part time consuming task in 24 hours, I was only able to get half done of work that seemed like actual collateral. I submitted it and explained despite only getting half done on short notice, it clearly shows my skill set. A week later they emailed me asking if I could complete the other two parts... seemed extremely fishy to me so I denied it, referencing AIGA's status on Spec Work. They emailed me the next day saying they decided not to pursue my employment)

So my question to all you professional designers, how do you approach design tasks when interviewing for companies? I feel I have a good portfolio that clearly depicts my skill set, but I inevitably always encounter "hey we want you to do this design task!"

I apologize if this seems semi-rant-ish. Is this just the nature of becoming a designer?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted May 19, 2016 at 01:04AM by Dual-Leviathan http://ift.tt/2084Fx3

No comments:

Post a Comment