Tuesday 29 November 2016

Client wants a font file included for free - is this legal?

Cross post from stack overflow.

I'm working with a client who has requested I send them the font file I'm using. The fonts are Athelas Regular, Italic, Bold, and Italic Bold.

The files were included (I think) with Photoshop. I assume that means I can use them in my own work, but not distribute the file itself?

The person I'm working for is sending it in to a very picky newsletter with very specific guidelines, and one of them is that they need the font and photo files separate of the .pdf sent in "in case they need to redo the ad completely"

This is what they sent me: "We just ask that the font be included in the package that’s submitted with the ad in case the printer doesn’t have the same font and needs to recreate the ad for any reason. Fonts also sometimes appear differently on different computer screens. The font files can usually be found in the control panel on a PC; I think they’re in a similar location on a Mac."

The budget for the entire project is less than the font licenses. So: Is it legal / morally ok for me to include the font files to them?

Thanks!



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted November 29, 2016 at 06:25PM by revx http://ift.tt/2gSEYUV

No comments:

Post a Comment