Sunday 10 September 2017

Most efficient way to learn (flat) design?

Hi reddit,

as the title states I am looking for the most efficient way to go about learning design, preferably flat design as the primary art style, on semi-professional to professional level. I do not intend on doing this full-time, I want to acquire it as a skill I can use for my own businesses and projects, maybe also freelancer work etc. I don't intend to compete with RISD prodigies (wouldn't mind it either :b). Main programs PS and Illustrator, catered towards website and app designs, maybe wallpapers as well.

I have quite alot of previous experience with PS but I mainly worked on composings and photo manipulation, no "precise and mimimalistic" designing. I am interested in video guides, courses, educational blog posts, sources for inspiration, some of your guys' stories on how you got into it etc. If there are any top-notch books that take you through the process of building an advanced foundation I'd love to know about them.

I am not attending design courses, I am a mechanical engineer in the making. But from what I can tell design school isn't a necessity (correct me if I'm wrong).

I am subscribed to the Adobe CC and am willing to spend further monetary resources if need be, e.g. for premium courses, but would prefer avoiding it.

I know that design is closely related to coding as well, at least for the topics I am interested in (apps & websites), though I would focus on the actual designing at first, and dive into the coding later - or is that the wrong approach?

As with anything, if you want to become good at it you need to dedicate serious time but I am more than willing to do that. I would really appreciate your input, especially because I am quite positive you can fall into bad habits/practice very easily when it comes to all of this.

Oh and also, I use Evernote Premium to organize resources, inspirational work, blogs, ... I find during downtimes (Subway, University breaks etc.) and I am quite content with it, but if you know any other service that gets the job done better I'd be glad to know :)

Thanks in advance



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted September 10, 2017 at 08:11PM by TeraGerard http://ift.tt/2eXfwOT

No comments:

Post a Comment