Saturday 9 June 2018

[HELP] Mac or PC for junior graphic and UX/UI designer

I need some guidance on purchasing a new laptop.

About me and my needs: I am a graphic designer (mostly freelance to date) currently in a bootcamp for UX/UI design. My goal is to get a full-time job in the next few months doing primarily UX/UI, with brand design on the side. To date, I do not do super intensive design projects, but still I use the creative cloud suite.

My current laptop: I have managed to keep my Macbook Pro 2010 15in going for nearly eight years. I know it's pretty wild :) Thus, I am used to a fairly slow machine and nearly any modern system will be a huge improvement.

So, to my UX/UI and graphic/brand designers out there--what do you recommend? I figure there is a strong likelihood that the full-time job in my future will come with a work station of some kind, so this laptop will mostly be for my side gigs, personal projects, and maybe some working from home.

Some specific questions:

1) Mac or PC? It seems like Sketch is the only remaining Mac-only design program. Between a Mac and PC with identical specs, which would you go for and why?

2) Screen size. Will I hate myself for getting a 13in? I suppose I can always get a monitor for home.

3) What are the top features or specs I should focus on? I don't know a lot about hardware, but I'm guessing processor type, RAM, and graphics/colors? If it comes down to it, should I prioritize a faster processor or more RAM?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted June 09, 2018 at 04:59PM by rainsunshine https://ift.tt/2LDYdN9

No comments:

Post a Comment