Monday 3 September 2018

New to Digital Design, Need help finding the right product

Hi,

I've been drawing for a number of years and I really love it and now I want to take that hobby/work to a new level. I don't know anything about drawing tablets, common issues that come with them, accessories needed or what makes some tablets worth more, so I'll describe why I want one and what I imagine it would be like and hopefully it can clear possbile misconceptions I have and help choose what suits me. Also let me know what your using and why.

Reasons why I want one: So to begin with I mainly draw comic/manga style images (characters, environments, shading, effects to some degree), I want to go digital to help overcome some issues I'm having on paper for instance being able to draw in layers so I can work on sections seperatly and see how they look on their own (sometimes I do have an issue where I draw characters but then have to draw around them to get the background, or if I draw an effect that overlaps with something and I want to redo it erasing that effect also erases the area around it (so a pinpoint eraser is something you can't have on paper)). I'm not good with inking so going digital lets me practice that without wasting a drawing with a lot of effort into it.

Most issues I've had I've had to overcome and I can continue to work around it but going digital I feel might make the process more efficent i.e. I shouldn't have to worry about if I give sections enough room or something being the right size if I lightly sketch and plan but that adds to the process and I like to experment as I draw. When drawing a background or effects ontop I'm fine drawing around a subject but if I draw it on its own I feel like I can draw it better. Thens theres undeniable advantages like salvaging and re-using assets and storage.

What my thoughts are on products I've heard (Budget: around £500): -I've seen drawing pads that don't have a screen that plug into your pc, not interested in that because I do need to look directly at what I'm drawing at. I don't know what its like so I'm not sure if I can get used to it. I'll still be drawing on paper as a habit so I don't want to get my wires crossed so I don't think its worth even if I'm saving more money.

-I'm hoping for a tablet with a screen on it, that can either be a tablet with a processor, OS and software on it like iPad pro. I don't have a lot of experience with apple so want to avoid it and don't know whats a good make or brand. Most I've seen range closer to or over £/$1000 which I want to avoid but if theres one that will do the job and has great accuracy I'd like to hear.

-Otherwise I do have pc and laptop with software I have experience with so are there graphics tablets that are simply just a screen? If there are and they come at better value then whats the best I can get for my budget? I would prefer something that is more mobile but if I'm saving a lot more on just a drawing monitor then that would be my preference.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted September 03, 2018 at 01:31PM by Malaphice https://ift.tt/2Q0JMWz

No comments:

Post a Comment