Saturday 27 October 2018

How to price/charge for large project?

Hi,

I've been a freelancer on the side for a few years working mostly with local businesses and friends on small projects like logo design and the like. I've never done anything huge before that required more than a few days worth of work. Recently I met someone in a social setting that had a lot of professional connections. He said he'd seen and liked my work and happened to represent a company in the manufacturing sector. He's asked me if I'd be interested in creating a product manual for his company along with some marketing materials for potential clients. We've kept in touch pretty regularly and it's looking to be a sure thing once they compile documentation necessary to build the manual. The nature of the product is highly technical and I'm expecting this document to be around 50-100 pages of technical drawings, graphs and that kind of thing plus whatever they need for marketing materials.

I know I have the ability to design the manual but I have no idea what to charge. My wife works in marketing for a big corporation and she says they pay their out-of-house designers $20k-$30k on contract for things like that but I'm by no means a team of 20 guys working for a company as recognizable as hers and I don't know that I warrant that kind of pay. In the past I've charged clients $15 an hour for my work based on how long I figured the project would take but I've never taken on something this large. I feel way out of my depth.

So r/design...what would you guys charge or how would you approach this? Thanks in advance for any help.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted October 27, 2018 at 03:05PM by fifthmanstanding https://ift.tt/2PXMqvN

No comments:

Post a Comment