Thursday 3 November 2016

The Crappy First Job and Beyond

So I just graduated not too long ago. I landed my first job right out of graduation as a UI Designer. I didn't really specialize in anything in while in school. Just did everything I could to learn good design. Practiced everything from illustration, icons, print, web, app, logo, identity, etc. I took myself as a multidisciplinary but looking back I think I was just a student trying to give myself a better title. Though I did graduate top of my class.

I landed the first job. "NICE!" I thought. "I design apps!"

Long story short. The industry has turned to be a cruel one. I'm caught in this cycle where my company takes design for granted. My average timelines for apps are between 3 hours to 3 weeks depending on scale of the app. I'm constantly harassed by the owner for not being up to their expectations despite I've been keeping the company afloat since all other designer left.

I have a mediocre portfolio looking back at it now. I almost never have time to work on it. I work anywhere from the regular 40 to 90 hours a week (no overtime pay since I'm salary) and to top it off we rarely are permitted to take vacation days.

Scared to apply elsewhere since my portfolio is not up to my standard or recent. If I fudged up the first time I'm afraid I won't be able to apply again later on. Don't have time to update projects or redesign a site. Job is sucking out my soul and all passion I once had. And I used to love creating anything possible. Pixel or lead. I loved making things become real.

Any tips on how I can get through this? Or make the next step to gtfo of this toxic environment?

Also, does anyone have any "fun" stories of their first/worst job in the field?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted November 03, 2016 at 05:36AM by agoraphobic_mattur http://ift.tt/2f36nQ1

No comments:

Post a Comment