Wednesday 7 June 2017

Any advice handling creative depression/slump?

I'm the only designer for a large company that owns many business who absolutely love cutting corners in any way possible. Been here for 2 years now as the only person in the marketing "team".

No creative briefs, no project manager or creative director, no process, just me in an office with no windows and requests coming in. Most of the requests don't have any structure "hey I need a sign to bring customers to my store" (usually sent via email but mostly just walking by or stopping by my desk).

I also hear a lot of complaining from the sales team about how operations are cutting corners and leaving everyone frustrated. All this eventually adds up and weighs my conscience.

It has gotten to the point that being in the office has fried my creativity, confidence, patience, and leaves me exhausted when I come home. I'm still in school and I've noticed my academic design work as also lowered in quality extremely. I don't feel excited or confident to design anymore and it is very difficult to concentrate on a single project. My freelance work has gone to shit also, if I was offered a highly paid freelance job I would turn it down because I wouldn't feel comfortable delivering my best.

Leaving is an option but not for a month at the very least.

What advice do you give designers that fall into this creative depression slump? Or has anyone fallen into a similar situation where the environment destroys your design?

Any advice is appreciated thank you.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted June 07, 2017 at 04:40PM by Tercio7 http://ift.tt/2rLWuNl

No comments:

Post a Comment