Saturday 10 June 2017

Breaking into the design field: Masters vs Bachelors?

Hey guys I am trying to make a career change from being a financial consultant/analyst to working within the product design field. I currently have a 4 year bachelors in both international relations and business economics. But I am really uncertain on how I should approach this change as I am currently divided between an interest in fashion design (particularly backpacks, menswear & shoes) and an interest in product design (electronic products design such as designing speakers and cellphones).

I understand that these are two different areas of design. But I would really like to learn more about career opportunities in design and get a better understanding of what my own vision is. I would like to merge my experience with analysis and coding with design. Also, I currently live in NYC.

I had a few questions for you guys if you could chime in:

  • Should I get a bachelors or should I get a masters to get a foot in the field (I would prefer to only spend another 2 years in school versus 4)

  • Is a formal degree in design really required? (I have had a few friends say that a degree is not really necessary versus just have experience)

  • Should I get first try to get a related job in the design field before jumping into school?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted June 11, 2017 at 01:33AM by kotjekkotjek http://ift.tt/2r72A9Z

No comments:

Post a Comment