Sunday 28 August 2016

Help. Forced to work at night?

I, a very inecperienced designer, have been asked to help woth a design. So far so good. I can handle the programs and creative aspect well, but the people I'm working for are a nightmare. We were supposed to go into "test printing" over a week ago, but they completely ditched that, because they couldn't send me the material I needed to finish on time. Now, they are planning on printing tomorrow and I have a few problems. (Keep in mind I am a 19 year old girl trying to work with 3 grown men in their 30s.)

  • They want to immediately print the final product, since there's barely any time left. What if there's an error, like the quality of a picture or two... or all... Not being okay? It's going to be pinned on me, I already know that. And that might be just. I don't know...?

  • I have just been informed that I will recieve the information I STILL need to finish the design around 9-12pm. I don't work at home, so if I want to finish on time, I'm going to have to work through the night to make it. Again. I was already up until 4am today, finishing up EVERYTHING else just because my "boss" decided it was necessary to be done in the morning today. That was bad time management on my end for a part, but the fact that he said he needed it and now won't even start working on his end of the stuff until 7 or 8pm is frustrating.

Those are my biggest issues right now, which are just worsened by my lack of confidence in the field and the fact that these people sometimes make me feel like my pay should be seven times higher. Should I just tell them it's impossible? Or can I tell them that I'll work for a significant increase in my pay during these hours?

I honestly want to cry, because these people are such a nightmare to work with. And it really makes me question if I want to start a formal education to work in the creative field. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I have no idea where to go.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted August 28, 2016 at 04:05PM by dontcallmebrobuddy http://ift.tt/2bIWB6a

No comments:

Post a Comment