Thursday 25 August 2016

Advice for interview "design test."

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I need some input. I've been actively looking for a senior visual designer position for a couple of months now, after my contract ended at a fairly well known online photo/stationery company. My portfolio has a good amount of samples of emails that I've done for this company, as well as other work throughout my decade of experience.

I had a phone interview today with the director of marketing for a startup that is a competitor of my former company; very similar products and services. It was a good interview, and definitely seemed like somewhere I'd like to work and develop other skills in UI/UX, photography, etc. However, a red flag came up when the director asked me complete a design test consisting of an email and some social media assets. I'm a little wary of these sort of tests, but assumed that they would be strictly for evaluation of my design aesthetic. But when she sent the brief over, it asked for .PSDs and .JPGs, and also to note if I used stock photography. Why would they need working files unless they were going to use my work?

How should I respond? I want to be respectful, and maybe somehow salvage this. Maybe they're just unaware that this is pretty unethical? I also think that because the companies are so similar, she could really simply go off the samples that I've already done in my portfolio. Any guidance would help, thanks!



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted August 25, 2016 at 11:31PM by gentleladyblue http://ift.tt/2ccg2Xa

No comments:

Post a Comment