Tuesday 27 February 2018

Client keeps adding things to the design.

We developed a really great brand line for a food manufacturer. Clean, simple, but with clearly defined areas for important information. But we're running into an issue with the owner of the business who wants all of these things added to the package, and specific changes made that completely ruin any sense of consistency or simplicity that the labels have.

I've tried explaining to them why we try to keep it simple and eye-catching. At the supermarket, you have very little time to grab someone's attention, and if your design is cluttered and looks like the side of a NASCAR driver's shirt, it's going to get lost. I've given them better alternative designs, but now they are going so far as to INSIST that certain elements are placed in certain areas. (for example, in a "tear open" resealable pouch, they want to put information ON the tear-line, meaning that important information will be torn in half at the top of the package)

The point of contact at their company understands where I'm coming from, as do most of the employees, but the owner wants it done his way, despite my best efforts to convince them otherwise.

With every "non-advisable" change, I make it clear that in my professional opinion, it's a bad idea, and I provide an alternative. I feel like I already know the answers I'm going to get here, that it's a "paycheck" job, and just hold my nose and do it. Which yes I understand, it's his company, his call. I think I'm just venting more than anything. Why pay an agency if you are going to insist that you are the expert?

/rant



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted February 27, 2018 at 03:51PM by babbyloading http://ift.tt/2ComDJZ

No comments:

Post a Comment