Wednesday 21 March 2018

Increasing DPI before enlarging a photo to decrease pixelation?

I'm working on artwork for a backdrop, about 8ft by 10ft. The image my bosses picked to use on the backdrop is 300dpi and the original size is about 22in by 13in. The proof from the printers came back with a bit of pixelation (when viewed at 100%) which I don't find surprising as 1) it's a stock photo and I'm working with enlarging a jpg, not a RAW 2) when i zoom in 100% on the original file, it's already a little pixelated 3) it was taken in low light and obviously adjusted in post so there's grain/noise 4) it's now 4x bigger.

The printers have told my boss that the way to fix this is to increase the dpi to 4x higher, then resize the photo to the size we want and that should eliminate all the pixelation. This sounds like a bunch of malarky to me. Has anyone else heard of this? Does it actually work?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted March 21, 2018 at 01:48PM by llamacolypse http://ift.tt/2DJlBot

No comments:

Post a Comment