Thursday 22 March 2018

My company's product, which I designed, is primarily a membership-only product. Should I be wary about including screenshots in my portfolio?

So I've worked at this company for about 4 years. I'm the only designer, so I do everything from branding to marketing to web design/ux to front end development. Lately I've been wanting to update my portfolio because I've been considering looking for work elsewhere.

The problem I'm coming across is that the company's core product is a private portal which we sell to our clients. A company will sign up with us, we'll rebrand the product to match their brand and put their logo on it, and then their employees have access to it through password protected accounts they set up.

To be clear, this product isn't exactly a secret. It wouldn't be hard for one of our competitors to get a login one way or another and check out the site. We also have tons of marketing materials which I designed which are full of screenshots of the platform, as well as sales presentations and stuff like that. We boast very publicly about our high profile clients. We even have a few screenshots of it on our public marketing site.

That all being said, in building my portfolio I really want to include some screenshots of the portal because it's a very significant part of the work I've done over the past 4 years. Frankly, if I leave it out, my portfolio is nowhere near as good. I'm just worried that because the portal is technically private, if my boss/CEO find out that I'm posting screenshots publicly to promote myself I might end up getting in trouble.

For the record, I don't think I ever signed an NDA, unless one was slipped into my signing letter or the general employee handbook agreement without my knowledge. I'm also pretty close with my boss/CEO so unless they weirdly took it personally that I was look at employment options I don't have any reason to believe they'd be overly hostile about this.

I just wanted to get r/design's opinion on this. Right now I'm thinking my options are:

  • Put everything on my portfolio website and "ask forgiveness, not permission"
  • Ask my direct boss (not the CEO) if he is alright with it, though I'm not really ready to tell my boss I'm looking for other jobs yet. I'm also worried he'll say no just to play it safe.
  • Put it all in my portfolio, but don't link to it publicly on my site. Only include the link to my portfolio in my resume/cover letter.
  • Leave it out of my portfolio entirely.

What do you think? Anyone else deal with this same kind of issue?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted March 22, 2018 at 02:43PM by geoman2k http://ift.tt/2Gc18O7

No comments:

Post a Comment