Thursday 31 March 2016

Currently in an internship that might turn into a full time job, but I already accepted a promising internship for the summer. Not sure what is the best decision. Help!

I'll try and keep this brief. I am graduating this spring. Throughout this semester, I have been working as an intern at this communications firm. They are really nice company, and I've enjoyed it there. They do a lot of print work, especially during annual report season, but have been doing some website design/coding too. Just front-end coding, html, css, javascript. Right now they only have one designer that can do the coding part, though

They let me know that they like what I have done so far, and that they might be interested in hiring another full time designer, if they feel they are at the point where they can. They thing is, though, if they feel they can they said they want to know If I can really focus on teaching myself front end coding stuff. I am not entirely sure about this. I did minor in information systems, so it's not all brand new to me, but it wasn't my favorite thing in the world. The one guy there taught himself and, in my opinion, seems really overworked. I have also heard conflicting things about how much more marketable coding makes you as a designer.

I didn't say it at the time, but I already had accepted a UX/UI design internship for the summer at a very large and very legit company. I don't think that would really require any coding at all. They say it COULD come up but it just depends. The place is supposed to be a great place to work.

I'm not sure really what to do or how to figure it out. My professor told me that I should try to say to my current company that " I had accepted a UX/UI internship for the summer. I know you guys aren't sure if you want to hire someone full-time right now, but my summer internship would be somewhat related to what you wanted me to learn and expand into, maybe I can work on contract on the side for you during the summer while I am at the other place. When it's over, maybe you'll be in a better position to hire full time then?"

Does this sound like a reasonable thing to say? I'm super new to this and don't have many people to ask for advice. I also think I would like to move eventually and my professor said two internships would look better on my resume



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted April 01, 2016 at 02:36AM by lolecules http://ift.tt/1MXJdUG

No comments:

Post a Comment