Thursday 31 March 2016

Trying to come up with a good set of secondary colors to go with a specific shade of red for our fun ecommerce site

I'm looking for some help coming up with a new color scheme.

I've been given tentative permission to change my company's existing color scheme. What we're using right now is a tetrad-based scheme that doesn't look very cohesive, not very modern (it was created in the mid-2000s), and kinda flat and muddy. (Also, I hate teal.) I could just tweak our existing colors manually to look nicer, but I don't think that would be very cohesive.

Unfortunately, color schemes are a big weakness of mine. I always marvel at all the amazing combinations people can pull off that look clean and modern, but whenever I try to come up with one from scratch, they just clash too much. I do try to use common methods like complementary, split complementary, analogous, triad, tetrad, etc., but that's pretty hit and miss for me. I use colourlovers.com all the time, as well as Paletton and Adobe Color.

We sell gifts and unusual/interesting stuff, and we try to convey fun, some goofiness, but also comfort and freshness. We do most of our business via our web site, but we will need to convert this to CMYK eventually for our print catalog.

The one thing that can't change at all (well, maybe a tiny bit) is our main color, which is found in our logo: #C41230.

I don't know if I should be going with opposing colors or keep everything on one side of the color wheel. If I stay with opposing colors, I'd like to have a cleaner/brighter green and orange, as well as a nice blue instead of teal. If I stay with one side of the color wheel, I unfortunately need to avoid purple (boss hates purple) and anything that's predominantly red/green due to Christmas. I also need the luminance to stay below 50%, so no pastels.

I welcome any help you can give!



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted March 31, 2016 at 05:50PM by BevansDesign http://ift.tt/1Vb659L

No comments:

Post a Comment