Tuesday 24 July 2018

I'm Freaking Out

So I just mortgaged my future and went back to school for UI/UX design and graduated with a ton of debt. I have a full time job so I ended up enrolling in a college program built for night students at a pretty good school by me. This was a terrible decision. I later learned it was meant to give grandparents bullshit degrees in placeholder majors like "business" or "communication". I begged and fought and screamed at my advisors to please help be prepared for employment and at least get a portfolio together, but to no avail. To be honest even my classes in my major wanted to talk more about the what's than the how's. The only "designing" I got to was in Graphic Design courses. I've been trying to apply for UX researcher jobs since they don't typically ask for a portfolio but everyone is saying I'm not qualified since I have actually done any UX research.

 

What do I do? I'm 30 and I've spent so much time and money to get here and I'm having a panic attack that I'm going to be stuck at my paper pushing job for the rest of my life and end up like that guy in pricing that has no neck and bought him wife from China. They don't even sleep in the same room. I've been looking at UI/UX portfolios and I'm nearly hyper ventilating. They look sooooo above the type of stuff that I've done. I've only basically make some shitty prototypes in Wix. I swear I'm really creative and totally capable of doing this job but I have no idea how to begin to convince anyone of it. The only thing I really have is my resume, but I know that's not a great indicator of any of the skills I have.

 

I'm starting to feel like I bring nothing to the table, and that I'm going to have to spend another year at my current job while I put cobble together some fake work for a portfolio. Did I ruin my life by chasing this dream?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted July 24, 2018 at 11:08PM by Dr_imfullofshit https://ift.tt/2A3vjFi

No comments:

Post a Comment