Monday 28 March 2016

Mello Yello re-design, another design choice discussion.

Not sure if anyone has caught this yet, I hadn't till the other day and I drink Mello Yello almost regularly, but I recently discovered they had changed their design from the friendly retro-80s design to a more bold and in your face energy drink style, to which I wonder, why?

Here's a preview, which I might add looks incredibly basic but works really well with the style, and looks especially nice on the cans.

My question and dislike towards the design choice however is; why? It appears more as if they're trying to compete with Mountain Dew, a product which tastes completely different and has for the past decade been in control of a market almost completely alien to Mello Yello.

It's not like the design choice will prevent me from drinking the soda, or that I'm taking a protest, but I personally feel this is a terrible design decision from Coke to market a demographic completely alien to themselves, a market that doesn't fit what the soda had been advertised for in the past. I'm curious to hear other thoughts on this, opinions of why it's good, bad, etc, perhaps I'm not seeing something, but as I stated, I personally feel the design choice and target are completely misplaced.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted March 28, 2016 at 05:51PM by CodyWiedenbein http://ift.tt/21PkoRs

No comments:

Post a Comment