Saturday 22 April 2017

How do I teach an adult to design?

Hi guys, so back story, my mom is now 57 ,just retired last year from her accountant​ position (early retirement due to company restructuring) and long story short she wants to get into designing, as both a hobby and hopefully as a side job. She wants to focus on designing daily use items eg mugs, shirts, bookmarks and so on, stuff you find on Etsy.

Now I myself isn't a pro designer either, I'm just a high school kid with a few years of experience designing for school and student clubs and such. Over the past few months I've tried teaching her Photoshop, and she's already using it quite well. But when it comes to the idea and composition part, I'm stuck. I don't have any formal education on designing and I've always been 'feeling' and eyeballing stuff. Meanwhile my mom is really out of touch with designing. She make complete newbie mistakes such as overloading fonts, using heavily contrasting colors, wrong font choices, poor alignment and so. I don't know how to teach those things. We picked up a couple of designing books from a local arts college (she doesn't speak English so international design books are out), but she couldn't apply the theory to practice. So designers, especially teachers, how do you teach a student with little sense of art to have a sense of art?

Tldr: Mom can use photoshop to execute most of her ideas but can't come up with good ideas. Need help



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted April 23, 2017 at 04:21AM by Confused_AF_Help http://ift.tt/2oydiFa

No comments:

Post a Comment