Sunday 15 October 2017

What's so terrible about cultural appropriation in design?

Yeah, so I'm a white girl.

At my college, even going 'Yo, whatsup dawg' is cultural appropriation. And my peers take this very seriously.

Apparently, if I combine traditional Chinese dress with let's say, Thai or Egyptian dress, my clothing design is then cultural appropriation.

If I wear a kimono out in public, that's cultural appropriation.

Take Katy Perry's music video that combined Japanese and Chinese fashion for example.

Or if I paint in the traditional Chinese brush painting style, that's cultural appropriation.

That's ridiculous. How am I 'stealing from someone else's culture?' I'm not taking anything. I'm studying and creating.

Im not taking sacred religious symbols like a Native-American headdress, or Hindu symbols.

This kind of thing is censoring creative freedom as an artist and designer.

High Fashion is getting ripped apart for this, when their designs are amazing and cool.

Why is everyone so pissed about this? Why is it so forbidden? What makes them the only ones allowed to use the art and design of a culture because their skin is different, when we're all humans? I love creating fantasy worlds and pulling from everything and everywhere.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted October 15, 2017 at 01:27AM by Qrow6 http://ift.tt/2xG8b9t

No comments:

Post a Comment