Thursday 11 August 2016

[Discussion] Designer Workflow

When I was new to the design program—I was always a fast paced, efficient, and pretty effective worker. I'd finish by due dates with quality projects that typically would land me a high to low A. As the classes got more advanced I struggled to keep up (still did) but it got harder. Despite the fact that I was taking multiple studios at the same time, I think once the professors and my peers started stressing workflow I lost my groove. I started to get stumped, I started to procrastinate, I wouldn't stick with projects as long. Why?

I like disarray, I like spontaneity, I like chaos. Growing up, I always would doodle without looking or taking my pencil off the paper. The abstract contours and the simplicity of geometric interpretations of more complex forms was appealing to me. The experimentation was what I loved so much. Don't get me wrong, I realize the significance of concept ideation, preliminary sketches, digital identities/layouts, rough compositions, post-critique, etc. Personally, it makes me obsessive to the point that I nearly forget the all-important finished project. I'm not sure why.

I've often found that this process will take me days and rarely will I be happy with the unfinished piece as the more I work in this process, the less distinct and the time consumed I feel. Recently, I did a couple projects after a bit of a stump; I did a pretty thorough concept ideation (thinking, making connections, determining style/aesthetic, writing out ideas) and sketched out very very rough compositions, almost speed-sketched. Then opened up a couple Illustrator canvases and messed around. It was quick, efficient, and it lead to a lot of interesting discoveries. Most importantly, I finished a project that usually would take me a week in under 24 hours.

I got so obsessed with the workflow because of how much it was stressed in getting a job, getting my full grade, etc by teachers and peers. I know it's important, but can't there be a balance? I'm just the type of person who overthinks things immensely.

However, I'm still only 2 to 3 years into this. What are your guys workflows like?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted August 11, 2016 at 03:18PM by mydesignreddit http://ift.tt/2blf72w

No comments:

Post a Comment