Sunday 7 August 2016

I'm no designer, but does anyone else think that unsubscribe button is just wrong on this sub?

The current button is in an enabled style (green) when you are member and a disabled (pale-grey) colour when you aren't. The choice of grey colour also makes it harder to read the white text.

To me, subscribing/unsubscribing is an action that you can perform. It is not a choice that would ever be unavailable.

The reddit designers chose to use a checkbox, but this is a poor choice as a checkbox typically allows you to select one or more options. A radio button would better as it limits you to one or no options. But, to me at least, radio buttons and checkboxes are generally supposed to be used when you are selecting an option as part of a wider action - the user selects an option and then, later, triggers an action (e.g. clicking a link or a submit button). Plus, a radio button or checkbox would (does) look ugly in this context.

I would suggest either an iOS style switch (subscribed/unsubscribed) or just a simple button. I'm leaning towards the switch as a button was historically used to suggest that a form would be submitted (less so in the modern web as they are often used to perform async actions).

You could argue that unsubscribing is undesirable, but this is a cheap tactic. The content of the sub should stand on its own and making the button won't prevent users from unsubscribing,

Obviously, you'll need to have subreddit styles enabled to see all of this.

Also, don't get me started on the title capitalisation rules that are enforced on new posts - I didn't choose to capitalise my post in this way. I don't need you to tell me how to capitalise my posts!



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted August 07, 2016 at 03:49PM by alittlebitmental http://ift.tt/2b4ay09

No comments:

Post a Comment