Monday 22 May 2017

Looking for some freelance advice

Hi r/design, I'm looking for some insight into a freelance job I have right now.

I'm full time employee doing work much more akin to industrial design, but in college I was really into archaeology and found myself being a sort of artist in retainer for a very reputable schools archaeology department. It was mostly technical illustration for publications and it's work I really love doing.

Because of this connection I'm passed around for various artistic needs. I was recently asked to help out for some visuals for a low budget museum project. I have some internship related experience to doing this sort of work and was open to helping out.

However, I'm not a formally trained graphic designer, and despite knowing my way around illustrator and indesign, this is proving to be out of my depth a bit...they have very few resources for visual assets and materials but a demanding turn around schedule. I do this work for a very small hourly fee on the grounds of working around my full time job, which they were aware of on the onset.

I was expecting that simple, no frills layout of their text and images would be acceptable, but I'm discovering this is being overseen by an organization which is expecting work usually done by a team of professional designers in a government museum setting...as in I have been pointed to very well made examples to aspire to.

I think this project would be trying even on someone who does this work everyday, but for me with my little laptop and minimal free time, it's starting to feel soul sucking. I don't think they even have the rights to any of the images they're giving me, they're all easily found with a google search and low resolution to boot.

I'm tempted to start looking for a graphic design student or philanthropic professional to give this work to. I feel bad both for trying to abandon this project and unloading an unsuspecting victim this mess, but I also think that I'm simply not the right person for this job.

Any thoughts, advice or similar experiences?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted May 23, 2017 at 04:06AM by wideeyelove http://ift.tt/2qJxxDg

No comments:

Post a Comment