Wednesday 17 May 2017

Why is it seemingly so hard to not put "decorations" on things?

So this has bugged me as a non-designer for years but I'm not sure I can properly articulate what I mean. Mostly talking about devices here. I like things that are simple shapes and don't have unnecessary decorations like fancy surfaces, shapes or accents. For all I care most devices could just be basic (elegant) shapes with uniform surfaces as long as they are functional.

For the longest time I figured that probably not many people shared that preference since barely any consumer device seemed to be designed that way.

And then Apple started pretty much doing that... and it was hailed as "genius" and leaving me confused. How is NOT sticking unnecessary stuff on your design "genius"? shouldn't that be an obvious thing to try first? Other manufacturers somewhat followed that lead at least in terms of general shapes and form factors. But also by again sticking on extra accents, bezels, structured surfaces, colors, LEDs etc.

I feel there must be something fundamental to design processes in the industry that I don't understand. Do people really like these "tacky design features"? Do designers/decision makers add those just to be different somehow? Why is the seemingly most obvious thing to do (sticking to simple functional designs) so far out of the norm that doing it is considered a bold/genius move?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted May 17, 2017 at 11:23AM by Arth_Urdent http://ift.tt/2qQJuIA

No comments:

Post a Comment