Thursday 4 May 2017

Art/Creative Director vs. Producer vs. Design manager?

Hi, I hope I'm not breaking rules and sincerely getting some answers. I'm not entirely sure what my job title should be even though I've been doing it for almost 10 years. I'm struggling to give myself a title and I've pretty much described myself in several ways over the past few years.

I've called myself a designer, a creative lead, senior designer, a design manager, a producer, an art director, and a creative director. I hope someone can help me and point out what title fits best?.... Hope to get some serious answers.

Thanks so much! I know it's quite a long read!


I've started out as a teenager as a media designer and I've created a ton of websites, designs, and videos myself. Basically what I've been doing afterwards for over 5 years now is that I, as a self-employed creative, meet with a diverse portfolio of clients. They include large corporations, where I usually meet and discuss the brief with the CEO's themselves, and medium sized businesses/organisations where I meet with (content-)marketing teams. Brands usually hire me directly for specialy work and I'm never ever hired by a creative agency. I will call them the 'client' from now on, but I have also worked within a company doing the same type of work.. managing designers and creating media related products with them.

I discuss with the CEO/Marketeers what creative work needs to be done. The majority of these projects are video-projects. I have mostly lead motion-graphic projects (explainer videos of products, services, and strategies), but I'm moving into a direction where I'll be the one leading live-action video productions for companies. Other than this I lead graphic design projects (mostly offline/online advertisements and for marketing campaigns), or projects where websites have to be created which need developers and designers etc.

I'm doing less and less hands-on production work. My main tasks are:

Initial meetings in person and all communications with the client. I collaborate with the client on the creation of the briefing & planning. I do the project management where I hire freelance creatives and brief them. Mostly the team consists of 1 or 2 other creatives I hire.

I define the visual style with the client & the freelancers in a mixture of what the my own vision / art direction. I have the lead in how things will look & feel, but of course it's very much in collaboration with the client and my freelance collegues/talent. Then I manage the creatives and help out where needed. As mentioned, it's not a large share of my work anymore but where I can help the project I do a bit of hands-on graphic design, audio design, or motion design to help my freelance teammates out.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted May 04, 2017 at 10:08PM by thisisevoke http://ift.tt/2qK10Kp

No comments:

Post a Comment