Sunday 8 July 2018

Ways to self-teach during gap years (x-post from r/graphic_design)

I'm about to start my senior year of high school and it looks like I'll have to work full time for a couple years before I can afford college. To see if I get more aid than I expect, I'll still be applying to schools as normal for the first half of the year. For the other half, I should have time to start teaching myself the basics of the adobe suite through my school's subscription. I'll also be exploring web design in my HTML/CSS class.

I ran into trouble trying to figure out ways that I can start building a career in the years between school. I've read on other threads that there is so much beyond learning the software that makes self-teaching difficult. So far, I plan to use sites like briefbox in combination with r/design_critiques to help with the creative process and learn to work with guidelines. The following are questions I have, any answers help:

  • What are other ways I can develop my creative process and communication skills without having actual clients?
  • Is it likely that I will be able to land an internship without being enrolled yet or having any experience?

    • Would a part time, entry-level position even be possible?
    • Would trying to break into freelance be too time intensive to try for such a short period?
  • What are some free/inexpensive online resources that could help with any aspect of being a designer?

  • When I do start school, how much more competitive will I be with a bachelor's vs associate's vs no degree?



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted July 08, 2018 at 06:45PM by poopchute32 https://ift.tt/2lZWUgK

No comments:

Post a Comment