Friday 1 January 2016

How to use GIT for web development?

I'm trying to convince my boss to let us start using GIT for version control but he doesn't understand it and therefore is reluctant to change the way he does things.

Essentially we do "version control" by downloading a full backup of whatever site we're working on, make changes to the HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, etc. files directly on the development server via FTP, and roll back changes by uploading previous versions of files from the backup if something goes wrong. This is really messy, wastes a lot of time and makes it difficult to track what changes have been made.

I've gone through the GIT tutorial on CodeCademy so I understand the basics and how to use the command line, I've also downloaded and messed around with GIThub's GUI app for Windows, but I'm still not really sure how it fits into the workflow.

I want to learn and start using SASS as well but I'm similarly unsure how that works if we're developing our websites on a test server on the internet, rather than locally.

Any advice? Do we need to stop using our remote dev server and start working locally using XAMPP or similar?



Epic visual tool

Epson 5030UB 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector Submitted January 01, 2016 at 02:53PM by grabtharsaxe http://ift.tt/1PAS17D

No comments:

Post a Comment