Saturday 2 January 2016

I'm making a "wedsite" and need to figure out what's wrong. Please take a look?

Hey all,

I come to you in close to desperate times - I promised something for the last time ever - I'd rather do urethral biopsies everyday for the rest of my life than screw myself like this again. But I did promise, so now I need to make it right.

I have to make an awesome website for my friends' wedding. They have me tagged as the amateur web designer, but I just know how to make basic business/institutional wordpress/drupal sites. This is a first for me, as it's a graphics-driven thing, relies heavily on images for general feel. The theme is "exaggerated cuteness" : castle in the sky, birds singing, hearts and unicorns, etc... you get it.

Here's the temp environment (it's a French site). It's basic HTML, no CMS or anything, just HTML5 boilerplate + PHP to include header/footer.

I learned basic Inkscape, started playing with vectors to make cutesie illustrations, and I'm (mostly) satisfied with them individually.

But then I made a basic template with these, and while I see potential, I also feel there's something fundamentally wrong. The header feels too empty and too crowded/intense at the same time, and just doesn't feel harmonious. I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do for content, etc...

I just can't tell what exactly I should change and keep trying different combinations that don't work.

If you have an opinion and want to help out the poor sod that I am, please tell me what you think is wrong, and how you'd fix it! Here's what I see for the moment :

  • Poor font choice : I can't seem to figure out a decent set of fonts. I chose non-cursive script (Set the Rain on Fire) for cuteness in the little clouds and ribbons, and for content titles later on. As for the rest, I got a random font for title (DK Petit Four) that I think really needs changing, and have yet to choose my main content font. Not only is choosing display fonts a b%#@!, but mixing and matching them is even harder. I don't really know which ones to put where to get that nice harmonious flow. Could you tell me what Display, Title and Content fonts you would use?

  • Too big : I wanted something that goes beyond 1024 to 1280, but I'm not sure it was the right choice. What do you think?

  • Too piecemeal : The illustrations are nice individually (couple, castle, wooden menu bar), but do they play together nicely? I 'm honestly not sure, and have spent too long in front of my screen to have perspective. Also, the clouds on the left for the date and venue, do they look OK? Maybe you guys have another idea? Finally, I wanted to tie it together a bit more with faded floating clouds in the background (example here). Any other general/specific opinions welcome.

  • Lack of ideas for content : I need that part to be fun, but more importantly clean and not as crowded as header/footer. Wanted to put little birds and garlands on separate content divs, but not sure how to delimit them beyond that (shadows, borders, etc...).

If you have any ideas, opinions, or even if you just want to yell at me for taking on a web design job way above my head, please do it! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks /r/web_design !



Epic visual tool

Epson 5030UB 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector Submitted January 02, 2016 at 06:44PM by m1773n5 http://ift.tt/1TvYfoo

No comments:

Post a Comment