Monday 30 November 2015

[Discussion] The Mac is to Graphic Design what the Electric Guitar was to early Rock and Roll.

I'm doing my dissertation at the moment. Pouring over one after another graphic design tomes and the Mac keeps cropping up in introductions.

Countless times I've read that the Mac is almost placed on this godly pedestal to be viewed as awesome and fundamental in graphic design.

Of course when the Mac came out it fundamentally changed how designers worked, but am I missing something when I say, that computer aided design changed how we work and not specifically the Mac?

I'll put on record that I use a Surface. I don't dislike Macs, I use them when I need to work on a larger screen, as that is what my University provides. But I see them as no different to other PCs. They're very well made machines but I don't see why they're given this infallible majesty.

At the end of the day, without Adobe or other software, Macs are about as useful to Graphic Designers as Books are, research machines.

I'm not trying to start some kind of flame war of Windows V Mac or anything similar, I'm just interested to see what peoples views are on our industry almost perpetuating this blind brand loyalty to tge possible detriment of other tools.



Great design resource

100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter) Submitted November 30, 2015 at 12:13PM by keanehoody http://ift.tt/1LImgCI

No comments:

Post a Comment